Monday, August 23, 2010

Step AWAY from the scale!

Photobucket

THE SCALE! One would almost think it's a knife or a gun for the fear it strikes in the heart of men and women! And yet, we return to it over and over again, imploring it to tell us what we want to hear. But it never does, does it? It disappoints almost without exception.

So why do we put ourselves through it? Are we really going to let a piece of metal with a spinner tell us if we are overweight, cute, attractive, worthy or deserving of happiness? The knee jerk response to this is, "Serene, don't be silly. Of course not! I don't take it that seriously." But if we're being completely honest, most of us really do give the scale that kind of power.

So many times in my life, I think I have LIVED on the scale. First thing in the morning...that gave me the best reading. After a meal....how much damage did I do? After going potty.....nuff said about that! Before bed......just in the hope it changed. Maybe my habits were an aberration, but from what I've seen not much of one. I see people at the gym weigh themselves coming in and going out. I've seen someone actually curse herself getting off the scale (and she has an ADORABLE figure!)

What does that number really mean? Absolutely nothing! It's a unit of measure that vacillates for any number of reasons, making it a completely unreliable measure of your fitness or body. Listen, if you're overweight, you know it because you see it and feel it. You don't need a scale to tell you so. Never once have I gotten on a scale thinking that I was skinny, just to be SHOCKED that I was in fact, overweight. No! When I was chunky, I KNEW I was and that number measure just added insult to injury. The scale serves no positive purpose.



"But Serene, how will I know how much I've lost?"

Why do you need to know? Are your clothes getting looser? Are you feeling good? THAT'S what you need to know....that will give you all the information you need about your weight. The only thing that scale is going to do is get you frustrated and stressed. OR on the other hand, it may give you a false sense of security. Let's say you drastically reduced your calories for a few days and you get on the scale and lo and behold, you've lost 3 pounds. That information only motivates you to continue unhealthy calorie levels. The three pound loss may make you feel secure that what you're doing to drop the pounds is good for you; when in reality it's NOT!

If you don't believe you're overweight, why would you let a scale tell you otherwise. I've said this many times and it's true. I have felt great about myself; feeling good and lookin' cute, only to step on the scale in confidence and step off in despair. And why? Because I let a number on the scale tell me about myself. In my opinion, scales should be tossed out and eradicated; an extinct,unhealthy and archaic contraption like corsets and sunlamps! You know how I know I'm right? There are no scales on Star Trek!

No comments: