Friday, June 11, 2010

PHYSICAL CHALLENGES - LIFE CHALLENGES

In the middle of weight class this morning as I'm heaving and doing my best to do the overhead lifts and wishing I had put less weight on the bar; it occurred to me that these weights and challenges are really a metaphor for life. There have been countless times that I thought I would break under the load of a burden or problem, only to find that I was much stronger than I thought I was and getting stronger all the time.

Of course, during a workout, the temptation is always there to take it easy on yourself. I tell myself, "You're tired today, do less weight" or "I'm not that strong, I need to take it easy". And when I think about it; the temptation is there to do the same thing in life. The temptation to not take on challenges. To not attempt something unless we are absolutely sure that we can ace it with ease. But no strength is built by that. I have discovered my greatest gifts in the middle of adversity. That's the beauty of adversity.....it brings out in you what is naturally there but what has laid dormant unchallenged and unneeded.

Physical challenges always push me further than I thought I could go. After all, I'm 43 years old, I have 4 kids and let me tell you, those were some big babies. My nature wants to look for the easiest way to exercise, the grunt free route. However, that road leads no where. I don't get stronger. I don't see muscles. And frankly I miss that amazingly euphoric feeling of accomplishment.

In my mind, the physical and the mental go hand in hand. I'm convinced that our minds are the genesis for our lives, moods, routines, habits and more. So it seems so natural to tie in workouts that push and stretch us physically, with life circumstances that do the same for us mentally. The result of BOTH is strength!

No comments: