Monday, November 3, 2008

DANCE, DANCE, DANCE

This ipod comes on....I wait for it....the music begins.....I am now in another world. A world filled with background music! Everyone I see seems to be moving in rhythm to the music blasting in my ears. I can't stay still. I don't just HEAR the music, I FEEL it and it won't let me remain complacent or lethargic.

Dancing is my antidepressant! When I need a mental boost, I take a little Vitamin D (Vitamin Disco). I get dance drunk and it's wonderful!! There is not a day that goes by that I don't dance. I dance in my kitchen as I cook. I dance in front of the mirror in my bathroom as I am putting on my makeup and getting ready to start the day. My kids are somewhat rhythm challenged. My daughter mentioned to me that she just started to dance at her last school dance and it was like her eyes were opened! For me, this is how I've grown up. Stressful days, missing my mom, frustrated at home....all these situations sent me to running to my record player and putting on Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" album. Then the release would begin and I would dance for hours. I remember a band sleepover that we had in HS, and we played music in the cleared out lunch room and danced till late into the night. There was no AC and it was the end of the Summer in steamy Georgia. That was the first time in my life that I remember doing anything that made sweat pour off of me. It was burning up in that lunchroom, but my friends and I were so caught up in the music that we barely noticed. Today, I'm so thankful for music and where it takes me, how it fills me.

"We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least once."
~Nietzsche

No comments: