Monday, July 20, 2009

WHAT I LEARNED FROM MARY POPPINS

source


Someone close to me has been teasing me that I am a "Mary Poppins" because I am seemingly always happy and try to look on the bright side of things. What a compliment!! I love Mary Poppins! Fashion challenges aside, she's "practically perfect in every way".....at least that's how she measures up!
Actually, there's much to learn from this icon of wholesome-as-milk goodness and virtue. So, today, I'm letting her be my gym nanny and these are the lessons she's taught me, straight from the horse's mouth:
1. "Our first game is called Well Begun is Half-Done" - I often find myself telling unmotivated members, "Just get here to the gym, that's half the battle" Once you get here, what else are you going to do but work out? This may not apply to the morning crowd as we do like to sit around and chit chat over Horace's fresh brewed coffee! Just get here and half the work is already done.
2. "That's a piecrust promise. Easily made, easily broken." Yeeeaaahhhh, we have to watch those easily made promises that we commit to ourselves. You know the ones - "I'm going to work out 2 hours every day" and "I'm not eating anything after 3 pm". C'mon now, let's be realistic. Those impossible to keep promises are easily broken. Better to be consistent with smaller goals than have erratic intense goals. Remember, consistency is more important than intensity.
3. "In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and - SNAP - the job's a game!" Making exercise a part of your daily routine will NOT happen if you don't do what you enjoy. Find the element of fun in your workout and you will find yourself really looking forward to your daily exercise routine. Music is what makes it fun to me. I don't work out on the eliptical, I just dance on it! I look ridiculous with arms flying, squatting up and down, but what do I care? I'm here to get a great workout and have a great time doing it!
4. "Why do you always complicate things that are really quite simple?" Want to lose weight? Exercise a little more and eat a little less. Want to tone up? Do some weight training. Want to build endurance? Slowly increase time and intensity in your cardio routine. No need to complicate it......it's really that simple!
5. "Never judge things by their appearance... even carpetbags. I'm sure I never do." Alright, to be honest, I'm having a difficult time trying to tie this into fitness, but it's such a good lesson, I just had to put it in. How about this? We all see people in really great shape and just because they make it look like it's easy for them, chances are it's not. Not a perfect tie-in, but it'll do!
6. "As I expected. "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way." You know, I LOVE this about her! Nothing wrong with a good dose of self confidence. I can't think of anyone who ever accomplished anything by being down on themselves. Listen, if Mary can wear that ridiculous hat and still think of herself as practically perfect, then surely you and I can find some things about ourselves to get excited about!
Well, there you go. You just had a personal training session by Mary Poppins! Don't you feel supercalifraga..........anyway, you know what I mean
!

No comments: