Monday, October 20, 2008

NO PARKING IN YOUR COMFORT ZONE!

I've done all kinds of things in my life and I think most people would say that my life, to this point has been an interesting one. However, yesterday, I did something that I've never done before. I went hiking! I know, "What?! You've never been hiking?!" It's true...I've been on road marches, incredibly long walks and killer runs, but I'd never been hiking. So yesterday, my good friend, Jennifer, took me to Saluda and we went hiking everywhere. I climbed up hills, I slid down hills, I looked over a cliff onto a waterfall. And.....I scaled about a 30 foot high rock face.

Knowing that this rock face was part of the hike, I was so intimidated. I told Jennifer, "I reserve the right to turn around and go back if I get too scared about this." Then, next thing I know, I'm grabbing the rope to Jennifer's cries of, "Wait! Serene! Let me make sure it's secure! Use this other rope!" I was over the side of the rock feeling like Spiderwoman! No harness, no safety (to be honest, even if I fell, I would have just gotten hurt a little bit. Nothing life threatening). It was exhilerating!!! Lesson to self....kick myself out of my comfort zone and don't LOOK DOWN!

No comments: